Senior Backend Engineer
🚀 Our mission
crowd.dev is an open-source start-up that empowers developer tool companies to grow through community.
Developers rely on community platforms (e.g., Discord, GitHub, Twitter) to discover new products, seek advice from peers, and make informed decisions. Therefore, a strong developer community is the backbone of a successful developer tool company (our user).
We built crowd.dev to give our users a 360°-view of the developer journey and provide them the insights to create a vibrant community and drive growth.
🦸 About the role
Join our team for a high-impact role in building an application with developers in mind. You will work closely with the whole product team, including both founders. You will be part of a customer-obsessed company where you do more than write code: you will lead your own projects, be in contact with our customers, make architectural decisions, and you will always be encouraged to take initiative.
Furthermore, at crowd.dev, you will contribute to a fully open-sourced codebase. All your contributions will be public, and you will build toward an open future.
⚙️ Tech stack
We use a modern, lightweight tech stack to provide an enjoyable and productive development experience.
- The backend is built with Node.js, backed by a Postgres SQL database.
- We use Kubernetes for orchestration hosted on AWS.
- We use Vue.js for frontend development, with Tailwind CSS for styling.
We have a philosophy of buying-over-building and always open-source. We try never to reinvent the wheel and use the best open-source solution for problems that are not our core. At crowd.dev, we work with exciting, cutting-edge technologies such as LLMs, text and vector search engines, and semantic database layers. You will find the team is always excited to try new tools.
📬 Your tasks
- Build the backend of an application that will disrupt the work lives of developer tool companies.
- Develop a lean and scalable architecture capable of handling billions of data points.
- Lead your own mission-critical projects (learn more).
- Work closely with the whole development team on the technical big picture, and contribute to strategic and company-wide decisions with the entire team.
👋 Who are we looking for
- 5+ years of professional experience working with backend technologies.
- Proficiency in Node.js, SQL, Docker, and Kubernetes. Python is an advantage.
- Knowledge of scaling applications for big data
- Having previously built or maintained an open-source project is an advantage.
- A strong team player, willing to put on many hats and contribute towards the team's goals.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Available to start as soon as possible.
- A salary from €70,000 - €90,000 based on your experience.
- A competitive package that also includes stock options and benefits. We want everybody to be a true owner in crowd.
- Remote-first - you work wherever you want based in Europe +/- two hours from CET (or join some team members in our co-working space in Berlin or Coimbra).
- Work on an open-source project and help some of the most innovative companies in the world to scale their developer community efforts.
- Unlimited book budget for personal and professional development.
- Be member #10 of a growing and ambitious team and help shape and advance the company's trajectory.
- Bi-annual team workations somewhere in Europe. Next stop: Croatia 🇭🇷
- 30 days of paid vacation.
🛠️ The Hiring Process
We try to keep the hiring process lean. We understand your time is valuable, and so is ours. You will have four touchpoints with us, and the process will last less than 3 hours.
- 15-minute get-to-know-you call with Charlotte, our Chief of Staff.
- A 60-minute call with Joan, our CTO.
- A case-study session where you will present one of your projects to a couple of our team members. Preferably an open-source project.
- A final 30-minute call with Jonathan, our CEO.
At crowd.dev, first and foremost, we're looking for people with passion, curiosity, and integrity. Even if you don’t tick all the boxes of this job description, if you feel you could be a great fit, please apply! We are also genuinely committed to building a diverse team. We strongly encourage applications from people of all genders and cultural backgrounds
Let's talk soon! 🙂